My husband loves to have a sauce with a lot of his meals, be it tomato, chutney, brown sauce or mustard. Personally I have never really been that in to them as they are usually pumped full of sugars and stabilisers (and general ingredients I would not know how to pronounce), certainly not worth the spike in blood sugar.
The great thing though I love about cooking is that I can experiment until my heart’s content to try to knock out the middle man (aka sugars) and work out a safe and Paleo alternative! So here’s my Paleo Mayonnaise. Probably the second most simple recipe to make (after my almond nut butter) and what’s better is that there are only 5 simple everyday ingredients.
Slather it on homemade burgers, dip home-made sweet potato chips in it or why not make your own coleslaw to share with the family! Don’t reach for the ‘light’ version on the shop shelves, instead take 5 mins out and make your own, it’s worth it- I promise.
Feel free to add in some fresh or dried herbs for an added twist!
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- 1 cup LIGHT Olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper (OPTIONAL)
- In to a deep jar or bowl place the oil followed by the egg and then the rest of the ingredients
- If you are using a hand blender place the blender to the bottom of the jar / dish and blend, it will immediately thicken and turn in to a mayonnaise colour and consistency
- I would blend for at least 1 minute to ensure a very smooth and creamy texture
- Have a taste test and add any extra salt / lemon juice to your taste
- Spoon in to an airtight jar and keep in the fridge for up to 14 days