Happy New Year everyone! It’s been a pretty rocky start for me, having been struck down with flu just after Christmas I then ended up in hospital over new year! It seems diabetes + flu = medical chaos , I wouldn’t recommend it! So, having hoped to be spending my ‘holiday’ days cooking and baking for you all, I was instead tucked up in bed feeling very sorry for myself.
Everyone I speak to is on a health kick this month, from dry January to Whole 30 almost everyone’s trying something. It’s also the month that everyone’s bank balance dreads, the month that seems to go on forever. With that in mind I wanted to try to use up store cupboard staples and share with you some simple but delicious dishes.
This is my blueberry breakfast muffin recipe. Made with mixed seeds and fresh blueberries, these are a great breakfast for those on the go, as mid morning snack or in a kids lunch box. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and take no more than 30 minutes to prepare and bake and are light, fluffy and delicious.
What you need:
*100g / 3.52oz Fresh Blueberries
*2tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
*100g /3.52oz (1 cup) Ground Almonds
*1/4 cup Mixed Seeds (linseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc)
*2tbsp Melted Coconut oil
*1/2 cup Almond Milk (or coconut milk / other nut milk)
*2 Eggs, beaten
*1 tsp Baking powder (gluten-free)
- Pre heat oven to 170°C/340°F
- Into a bowl place ground almonds, mixed seeds, baking powder and coconut sugar, fully combine
- Create a well and add in melted coconut oil, almond milk and fully mix in
- Add in beaten eggs and fully combine until mixture resembles batter
- Add blueberries and mix in
- Spoon 1 tbsp of mixture in to muffin cases and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Allow to cool on wire rack then share and enjoy
- Keep for up to 3 days in sealed container