I made up this recipe late last year and since then it has become a weekly breakfast treat. Created at home, it was a Sunday morning and all I had in my kitchen were eggs and blueberries, so I decided to experiment with what I had. I have always had a sweet tooth and decided to throw the ingredients together to see what would happen. I threw in some cinnamon too and I can safely say that this is my favourite breakfast to date. It’s sweet, satisfying and filling, with no sugar, no dairy, no gluten, only the natural sweetness of the blueberries and cinnamon.
What you need:
(for 1 large omelette)
*3 free range eggs
*1 tsp cinnamon
*Handful of blueberries
*1tsp coconut oil
*Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Gently beat the 3 eggs together in a bowl
- Heat a deep-frying pan with one tsp of coconut oil
- Put half the blueberries in to the frying pan to soften for about 30 seconds
- Add in the egg mixture.
- Move the uncooked egg around the pan with a spatula until all the egg starts to set and the whole pan is covered
- Cover omelette with cinnamon and remaining blueberries and turn to low heat
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the cinnamon mostly melted in to the omelette
- Fold the omelette in half and cook for a further 30 seconds
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds
Why are blueberries good for you?
Blueberries are not only delicious and nutritious but they also have one of the highest antioxidant levels amongst all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings.
Blueberries can also be frozen without reducing any of their antioxidant properties or delicate structure. So pick up those on offer in the supermarket and get them in the freezer!
- LOW GI + BLOOD SUGAR: Blueberries have a very low glycemic index and therefore do not have a significant impact on blood glucose levels (perfect for any diabetics like me!)
- ANTI INFLAMMATORY + ANTI OXIDANTS: Blueberry is high in phytonutrients that can protect us against intestinal inflammation, ulcerative colitis, dementia and certain cancers
- BLOOD PRESSURE: Regular blueberry intake has been shown to help reduce and maintain healthy blood pressure
- HEALTHY MIND: Blueberries can help reduce the risk of oxidative stress within our nerve cells and therefore maintain a healthy mind
- HEALTHY EYES: The phytonutrient antioxidants and anthocyanins in blueberries help to protect the retina from unwanted oxygen damage and sunlight damage