Every time I make these muffins I do so with the intention of having them in the fridge for the week so that if any one’s hungry there’s something delicious to hand. However, no sooner are these made, they are eaten. They are probably one of the most simple recipes on this blog with easy to find supermarket ingredients. The pesto adds another taste dimension to the egg and they are even a favourite amongst my friends children too.
In terms of the pesto recipe you can add as much, or as little garlic as you want. I tend to leave it out as my current pregnancy state cannot abide the smell of garlic on anything or any one! However, if you like it, add it in! We’re off to Majorca on Tuesday so I will be taking a couple of these on the plane with me as a snack to keep my blood sugars stable. They are very easy to transport in a small lunch box / Tupperware and are perfect for a low carb picnic treat. That’s the other amazing thing about them, especially for diabetics, as they require absolutely no insulin due to being virtually carb free.
Instead of cashew nuts, you could use any other nut of your choice in this recipe, but I love the consistency that cashews give, plus they are much cheaper per 100g than the usual pesto favourites pistachios or pine nuts.
- 100g / ½ Cup Cashew Nuts
- 50g Basil Leaves (1 cup)
- 40g Spinach Leaves (just under 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil (approx 4 TBSP / 80ml )
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 6 Eggs, Large
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- Optional: 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2TBSP water
- Preheat oven to 180°c
- In to a blender / food processor, place the cashew nuts, basil leaves, spinach leaves, (optional garlic) ½ tsp sea salt and a generous pinch of ground pepper
- Blend well until a coarse mixture has formed
- Now on low speed add in the olive oil a little at a time until the pesto paste has formed (have a taste, if you would like to add more salt then please do so). Set aside
- Whisk up eggs with 2 TBSP water and add a pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Pour the egg mix equally in to each individual muffin case three quarters full (i use a silicon cupcake / muffin mould)
- Now spoon 1 tsp of the pesto mix in to each individual egg cup
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen, golden and fully set
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving immediately or leave on a wire wrack to fully cool before placing in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days