Why do weekends go so quickly? No sooner does it feel like I’ve properly got in to the weekend it’s suddenly Sunday evening and time to get ready for the working week again! This weekend has however been another beautiful one, I’ve spent a lot of time painting furniture in the garden, tending to my (now 3) orangey red tomatoes, picking up unique treasures from charity shops and of course cooking up some new recipes for the blog.
On Saturday afternoon we visited the local butcher and bought some 100% organic meat sausages and a tray of free range eggs. One of my husbands favourite things of all time are scotch eggs, so I decided to try to make some myself. The shop bought ones have so many additives pumped in to them, extra sugars, stabilisers and trans fats that are not good news for anyone. However, with such simple ingredients, a few extra seeds and some spices I was sure I could make something much more delicious and without any negative health implications.
Fortunately they worked wonderfully, a great success and an incredibly grateful husband. They are so simple to make and are meaty, filling and flavoursome. They would also be amazing cold, for a picnic or even in a lunch box. The ones I made were huge, so you could easily halve the recipe to make four smaller ones.
What you need:
To make large 4 scotch eggs
*6 sausages (de-skinned, 100% organic meat – if possible)
*1 tsp paprika
*1 pinch salt
*1 tsp sage
*1 pinch pepper
*2 tbsp ground almonds (I use the almond meal left over from my almond milk recipe)
*100g mixed seeds
*4 large eggs + 1 egg (whisked in a separate bowl)
- Turn oven on to 180°c
- Place 4 large eggs in to boiling water for 6 minutes (medium eggs: 5 minutes, small eggs: 4 minutes). Take off heat and place in to ice-cold water whilst you carry on with the rest of the preparations
- In to a blender place the almond meal, pinch of salt and mixed seeds, blitz until coarse and crumbly, place aside
- In to the blender place all sausage meat (make sure to de-skin beforehand), spices, salt and pepper, blend until fully combined and sticky
- Peel the cold eggs, gently (as they will still be soft-boiled)
- Now break sausage mixture in to 6 balls. Using the palm of your hand create a “cup”, flat patty shape. Place one egg into the middle and work the sausage mixture around it making sure to fully seal all the sides
- Now dip the ball in to the egg mix (1 whisked egg) and fully cover smoothing all the sides (this is how your meat and egg will stay bound)
- Roll the ball straight in to the mixed seeds / almond mixture
- In to a shallow frying pan over high heat heat up about 1/2 cup olive oil and place scotch egg in to the oil. Brown each side for around 1-2 minutes until golden brown, then place on to a baking sheet and bake for 5 – 6 minutes
- Serve straight away with homemade chutney, rocket and avocado
Suitable for: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo