I have loved the Primal Pantry bars since I first had a taster (or 20!) at last years Health Unplugged conference. Wrapped in beautiful bright packaging there are five bars in The Primal Pantry range; Coconut & Macadamia, Almond & Cashew, Brazil Nut & Cherry, Hazelnut & Cacao and their latest addition, Apple & Pecan – all made from nuts, unsweetened fruit and almond oil. No nasties, no additives, just health friendly goodness.
Primal Pantry Philosophy:
Founded by Nutritionist Suzie Walker, The Primal Pantry evolved out of her vision to make the paleo lifestyle easier and more accessible for everyone. With some nuts, some coconut, a blender and a clientele of eager tasters she embarked on making her own paleo bars. The results were even better than Suzie had hoped and her clients loved the bars – The Primal Pantry was born; it’s aim being to make great tasting paleo foods, with the best real food ingredients, free of any junk and easily accessible to everyone.
Handmade in the UK and sold worldwide, each cold-pressed bar contains no more than 6 ingredients. The bars are free of grains, gluten, refined sugar, soy, vegetable oil and of course any kind of additive, preservative, flavouring or colouring. They are therefore vegan and veggie too. Just simple and tasty high quality ingredients jam-packed into a bar.
In my opinion, there really is no greater joy than eating, enjoying your food and even better still, getting to try out 5 of the most delicious bars. Being T1 diabetic I really have to think about what I’m putting in my body so to have a bar that I can name all kitchen cupboard ingredients of is a real bonus. Obviously these are still sweetened with dates so should be enjoyed in moderation – I usually munch on one on my way to a cardio session where I know I am going to be needing a little energy boost.
What I love about these bars is….
- That they aren’t greasy or oily (no nasty vegetable oil!) and they don’t crumble either
- There are only 6 ingredients which are kitchen cupboard staples, organic and free from sulphites
- They have an amazing texture which is a mix of both chewy and crunch
- They are a healthy dose of mono-saturated fat and protein
- They are all true to their flavour title. So many times have I picked up a bar of something, tried it and it hasn’t tasted anything like it’s meant to. Being 100% natural the true flavours really come through. I even made my husband close his eyes and try to guess the Brazil Nut and Cherry Bar- and he got it right! (yes, we are one crazy couple)
- They look great in your handbag and kitchen cupboard… especially stacked high in pastel colour code!!
- They are even better eaten straight from the fridge
- They leave you feeling satisfied and don’t take you on a crazy blood sugar journey
So, the most important part, the taste test. I have to say, having tried all of the five bars I find it very very hard to pick a firm favourite. But seeing as you have really twisted my arm, I would have to say:
For flavour: Brazil Nut & Cherry
For texture: Brazil Nut & Cherry, Coconut & Macadamia
My husbands favourite: Apple & Pecan
Least crunchy: Hazel & Cocoa
Most subtle flavour: Almond & Cashew
Most obvious flavour: Apple & Pecan
Overall: (In joint first) Brazil Nut & Cherry, Coconut & Macadamia and Apple & Pecan
That’s not to say I don’t love the others- because I quite obviously did having gobbled them all up!
How much are these bars and where can I buy them?
The bars are priced at £1.49 each from Whole Foods, Waitrose, Planet Organic, Superdrug, Tesco, leading health stores and selected CrossFit Boxes and gyms. You can also buy boxes of 18 direct from https://www.primalpantry.com/shop/ for £27 with free postage and packaging.
What’s most exciting is that these aren’t just UK based- they are now sold all over the world by selected retailers (and still expanding)! Check out this LINK to find your local stockist!
Anything to add?
It would be great to see a seed based bar for those who can’t eat nuts. Maybe a lemon and poppy-seed? That would be delicious addition!
I was sent these bars to review. However I will only ever share / review a product that I believe in and that works with my Paleo ethos.