My husband adores anything savoury and hearty, cheese and biscuits with lashings of chutney are probably his all time favourite thing. He’s been my biggest supporter since I gave up grains 5 years ago and went low-carb and has himself achieved so many health benefits in doing so.
I decided to try making him some low carb crisp breads with some added cumin for flavour. I served them with some homemade beetroot dip, tiger tomatoes, boiled eggs and olives. He loved them so much that they have been requested as a permanent fixture. They couldn’t be more simple to make and one recipe makes a very large batch which you can keep in a tin for up to 3 weeks- if they aren’t devoured before then. Use any selection of seeds you desire, so long as the quantities add up-would work with just linseeds if preferred.
What you need:
Makes around 16 crackers
*50g sunflower seeds
*50g pumpkin seeds (I usually buy this mixed bag of seeds from Sainsbury’s which includes sesame seeds)
* 1/2 – 3/4 tsp salt
*1tsp cumin *OPTIONAL
*1/4 cup /0.5dl olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°c
- Place almonds in to food processor and bring until coarse. Add in all the rest of the seeds, cumin and salt and pulse for 3-4 seconds ( I like to keep mine relatively chunky)
- Place mixture in to a large bowl and add egg and olive oil
- Mix well until fully combined
- Place dough on a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Place another layer of greaseproof paper on top and begin to roll the mixture out until thin
- Remove baking paper and roughly cut in to squares of triangles (the mixture will not be able to be cut one cooked)
- Bake for 15 minutes (do not be alarmed if there appears to be a foam on top of the mixture when you take it out)
- Store in a sealed container
Suitable for: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Paleo
I really want to try and make some vegan cheese to try with these biscuits. If you know of any good recipes I would love to hear them!