A simple and incredibly health friendly recipe for those trying to avoid crisps (chips)! Obviously these aren’t the real thing, but neither are they full of a bucket load of unhealthy ingredients. They are crispy, flavour packed and take next to no time to make. Perfect for those seeking a low carb alternative to the carb crunchy savoury snacks that are so readily available wherever you go. If you do not like lemon then you can substitute for lime or add 1 TBSP nut butter and your favourite spices. You have to be careful that you keep the temperature in the oven no hotter than 160°C and that you keep half an eye on the crisps as they cook to ensure they don’t burn. It’s also very important not to cook them with anything else in the oven as the moisture will cause the kale to wilt and steam rather than cook and crisp! You have been warned!
This recipe makes a bowl big enough to share amongst four people before supper, or to hand around at a picnic. I like to have a handful over a mixed salad at lunch time. For those that need to know carb content etc, there are less than 15g carbs for the whole bowl and less than 1.5g sugar. I do not count calories and have not done so since my very unsuccessful dieting days back when I was in my late teens / early twenties!
- 150g kale (any big stalks removed), chopped in to edible pieces, washed and dried
- 3 TBSP sesame seeds
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, flaked
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Have 2 baking sheets ready
- Place kale (chopped in to edible pieces) in to a big mixing bowl and add in the olive oil and lemon juice
- With your hands massage the oil and lemon juice in to the leaves until they are all coated
- Now sprinkle in the sesame seeds and again toss the kale around to ensure evenly spread all over (you can leave a few back to sprinkle on top before placing in the oven)
- On to a baking sheet place half the kale and spread out so that they aren't all on top of each other and if you can, try and make a little space between each kale leaf
- Sprinkle remaining sesame seeds on top and sea salt all over
- Pop in to the oven for approx 12-14 minutes, until the edges are browning very slightly and the kale's a dark green (keep a close eye on the kale whilst it's cooking as too long and it'll burn very quickly!)
- Pop all the kale in to a beautiful bowl and hand around!